Early Spring, 2000
We think that members of congregation property committees ought to know certain facts about their buildings.
The following list is based on suggestions from several people who work regularly with religious congregations and the buildings they own.
- Square feet of Floor area
- Age of original construction
- Dates of renovations and additions
- Location of vestry/ building committee minutes and records
- Location and condition of blueprints
- Location of insurance appraisalsStructure of the walls and roofs
- The last time the roof was repaired or replaced
- Changes in obvious cracks on the interior or exterior walls
- Dates of masonry repainting or major repairs Type of heating system
- Definition of the heating zones in the building Location of all utility meters and fuel storage tanks
- Location of the main utility switches and valves for the whole building
- Location of fire extinguishers
- Maximum occupancy
- Location of energy billing data
- Names of good vendors and contractors
- Warranties and guarantees
- How the fire and security systems work.
Please let us know if you have any suggestions for additions to this list.