ICE is guided by the following five principles:
- Organize as a non-profit project within Philadelphia’s religious community.
- Gather measured energy data from each building, and follow where the data lead.
- Represent only the best interests of congregations.
- Develop a copyright-free legacy of research and reports that can be used when non-renewing energy becomes less abundant and more costly.
- Seek funding only from people of faith – congregations and denominations – rather than from corporations, foundations, utilities or governments.